The world of Michael Chabon comes alive in the first full-length, analytical guide devoted to this brilliantly creative writer.
His master's thesis became his first novel, The Mysteries of Pittsburgh, and Michael Chabon has not looked back since. A unique voice in American fiction, the Pulitzer Prize-winning author has created a body of work filled with engaging characters, imaginative scenarios, and highly original points of view. What inspires this brilliant novelist?
Pulitzer Prize-winning author Michael Chabon is considered one of the most distinguished contemporary American novelists. Reading Michael Chabon, the first full-length volume on the writer, views his career as bridging the gap between literary and popular culture. Designed for book club members and high school and college students, this reference guide will help readers keep track of Chabon’s intricate plots and draw thematic connections between and among his major novels. It will also help them understand his fiction as cultural commentary on contemporary masculinity and Jewish identity.
The book treats both Chabon's life and work, including film adaptations of his novels, his love affair with comics, and his forays into detective and adventure fiction. A chapter is dedicated to each of his major novels, including Mysteries of Pittsburgh, Wonder Boys, The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, and The Yiddish Policemen's Union.
• Sidebars provide insight into Michael Chabon's creative process
• Includes an extensive bibliography of print and web resources, including book reviews and interviews
• A user-friendly index enables readers to quickly locate information on novels, films, key themes, and biographical details
• Offers the first reader's guide devoted to Michael Chabon, a writer who refuses to choose between literary quality and entertainment
• Provides an overview of Chabon's contribution to the coming-of-age novel, the picaresque, and the Jewish American novel
• Analyzes Chabon's fiction in relation to contemporary ideas about gender and sexuality, with particular attention to the diverse forms of male-male relationships that permeate his fiction
• Covers reviews and interviews, as well as Chabon's virtual presence, including YouTube videos