Pop Culture Universe
Icons Idols Ideas (Academic)
Popular culture is a highly significant form of living history—a constantly evolving, collective experience shaped by the seemingly trivial aspects of daily life. By examining what society as a whole has found interesting, entertaining, or worthy of adulation, we can clearly perceive our values and aspirations, revealing rare sociological and historical insights.
Call for pricing
Pop Culture Universe: Icons Idols Ideas (PCU) contains a comprehensive and authoritative collection of information on popular culture in America and the world, both past and present.
Pop culture did not suddenly arise from nowhere to become a focal point of our society; in the last century, every generation has had music, pastimes, public figures, and technology that played a role in defining that era. Today, pop culture has expanded exponentially, reaching into every aspect of our culture and society. It also has a magnetic attraction for young adults. It is for this reason that educators increasingly use pop culture to engage students in reading, writing, and research.
Built on hundreds of award-winning titles for all levels of researchers, Pop Culture Universe is a research and learning resource that greatly enriches and modernizes any academic library, offering the best of traditional scholarship with the convenience of Web technology and the entertainment inherent in the subject. This carefully compiled database presents pop culture and history through an academic lens, providing insights into society that will engage students' minds and support their research projects. The Idea Exchange section features informative, scholarly essays on topics that often serve as the basis for a community college or undergraduate writing assignments.
- Includes real-time enhancements to continuously update existing entries and add brand-new content—at no extra cost
- Provides access to more than 3,000 entries adapted, updated, and reedited from award-winning content from Greenwood Press, Praeger Publishers, and ABC-CLIO
- Exclusive Idea Exchange sections give students the opportunity to model their research writing upon thesis-driven, peer-reviewed essays by accomplished authors
- "Stories" sections offer informative, at-a-glance articles focused on describing major events and trends in pop culture from the 1900s to the present, from the Gibson Girls of the Gilded Age to the social media of the 2000s
- Hundreds of photos illustrate all aspects of pop culture
- Ties to many curricula, supporting the way history, literature, and other areas of social studies and the humanities are taught today
- Universal appeal draws users in with high-interest subject matter
- By making learning more fun and exciting, users will learn to evaluate sources and form opinions and ideas about their own history, culture, and lives; and to share those opinions and ideas effectively with others
"Pop Culture Universe is ... all about substance. From one perspective, it is an exceptionally clever way to repurpose existing reference content. More significantly, it also includes dozens of lengthy, original essays that are geared toward an academic audience and were written exclusively for this product. This feature makes for a resource that students and researchers of popular culture will happily explore at length."
"Entertaining and informative, social studies teachers will appreciate this database. . . . Recommended."
- Series Description
ABC-CLIO Solutions Academic Editions
Created specifically for academic libraries, ABC-CLIO Solutions Academic Editions provides essential coverage of topics in American history and government, world history, geography, and multicultural and popular culture subjects. These deep resources have been engineered to help undergraduates thrive in a demanding academic environment.
Each of the 14 online ABC-CLIO Solutions includes three innovative components:
A REFERENCE LIBRARY
A comprehensive, fully integrated, topic-specific reference library offers authoritative, award-winning content that includes rich media and thousands of primary sources that support authentic research and scholarship.
A COURSE COMPANION
Updated daily by a team of subject-specific editorial experts, the course companion reinforces the core concepts presented in textbooks, lectures, and discussion sections.
This collection of expert commentaries, located in the Idea Exchange section of each online solution, is unique to ABC-CLIO. They expose students to scholarly argument, persuasive writing, and primary source anaylsis. The Idea Exchange presents original, peer-reviewed scholarship and debate in a format accessible to undergraduates, and also serves as a model for students as they undertake their own research and writing activities.
- Always current and updated daily with authoritative content reviewed by scholars and content experts
- Supports academically underprepared students by making it easy for them to grasp complex topics
- Online and available for students and educators to access anywhere, anytime
- Compatible with federated search engines and most common citation software
- Aligns with your budget by offering custom package options, significant discounts for multiple subscriptions, and low maintenance cost