Religion and same-sex desire are not absolutely incompatible; in fact, spirituality and homosexuality have coexisted in both the modern context and throughout history. Naturally, there have been ongoing tensions between disparate schools of belief, which may be partially responsible for recent revolutions such as the LGBT movement and queer theory.
||6 1/8x9 1/4
||Gay & Lesbian Studies/General
This ground-breaking and eye-opening book examines the intersections of religion and same-sex desire, from St. Augustine to Hinduism to contemporary LGBT and queer culture.
Queer Religion provides a systematic and detailed overview of the challenges and issues that the intersections of religion, same-sex desire, and gender variance have generated, both now and in the past. It focuses upon the development of these areas of overlap through three distinct historical periods: modern religious history, LGBT liberation movements, and the emergence of queer theory and analysis.
This two-volume collection of eclectic essays investigates the experiences of queer people and religion, providing a broad, unique, and invaluable analysis of this important cultural and theological encounter. As a group, the contributors offer brave insights and diverse perspectives on a variety of topics dealing with religion, same-sex desire, and gender expression. Some of these essays are explicitly historical in focus or scholarly articles, while others provide autobiographical viewpoints and personal reminiscences. This book provides a comprehensive look at the queer dimensions of religious practice and belief—essential reading for religious scholars; those within the LGBT community; and anyone interested in human spirituality and sexuality.
- Contributions from 28 distinguished North American and international scholars and activists from a variety of religious traditions
- A comprehensive index of key ideas and concepts
- Provides a thorough overview of the intersections among religion, same-sex desire, and gender identity
- Supplies fresh and unusual perspectives on how religion and same-sex desire have influenced and impacted upon each other
- Describes and analyzes the multiple dimensions of queer religiosity
- Documents how religion and same-sex desire have mutually influenced each other
- Author Info
"A vast literature on queer religion is now available, and this set makes an important contribution. It could also serve as a foundational text or introduction. Summing Up: Recommended. College and university libraries supporting lower-division undergraduates through researchers/faculty."
- Look Inside