An Encyclopedia of Life in the Republic
Vast and varied, India is a country of contrasts. On the one hand, one out of three of the world's malnourished children lives in India. On the other, a McKinsey Global Inc. report suggests that if India continues its recent growth, it will be the fifth largest consumer economy in the world by 2025.
||Geography and World Cultures/Countries and Regions
Containing almost 250 entries written by scholars from around the world, this two-volume resource provides current, accurate, and useful information on the politics, economics, society, and cultures of India since 1947.
With more than a billion citizens—almost 18 percent of the world's population—India is a reflection of over 5,000 years of interaction and exchange across a wide spectrum of cultures and civilizations. India Today: An Encyclopedia of Life in the Republic describes the growth and development of the nation since it achieved independence from the British Raj in 1947.
The two-volume work presents an analytical review of India's transition from fledgling state to the world's largest democracy and potential economic superpower. Providing current data and perspective backed by historical context as appropriate, the encyclopedia brings together the latest scholarship on India's diverse cultures, societies, religions, political cultures, and social and economic challenges. It covers such issues as foreign relations, security, and economic and political developments, helping readers understand India's people and appreciate the nation's importance as a political power and economic force, both regionally and globally.
- 240 A–Z entries on the social, political, cultural, and economic development of India since 1947
- Contributions from more than 100 distinguished international scholars from five continents
- A chronology of major domestic, regional, and world events in and involving India from 1947 to 2010
- A "Guide to Related Topics" to allow readers to trace main themes across related entries
- An extensive Selected Bibliography containing multicultural and multidisciplinary materials and scholarship on the growth and development of the Republic of India from 1947 to the present
- Brings together the latest scholarship on the multifarious strains of India's diverse cultures and economy in the 21st century
- Offers up-to-date perspectives on life in the Republic of India
- Covers a wide range of subjects including intellectual, political, economic, and social/cultural issues
- Provides current data and perspective couched in historical context when appropriate
- Author Info
"This resource provides up-to-date information on the political, cultural, and economic specifics of the Indian society, from its declaration of independence in 1947 to the present day. Approximately 250 entries, written by notable worldwide scholars, represent a concise overview of the progress and the growth of this diversified modern nation. . . . Successful at nurturing an appreciation for and an understanding of life in contemporary India by providing a clear, solid foundation describing its challenges and its development, this reference is recommended for libraries serving high school and college students."
- Look Inside