Culture and Customs of the Apache Indians
Understanding contemporary Apache culture requires an appreciation for the traditional Apache values of kinship and tribal solidarity, the history behind their time-honored ceremonies and festivals, and the issues and challenges that the Apache currently face. Only with this knowledge can an outsider come to know the true identity of the Apache people.
||6 1/8x9 1/4
||Geography and World Cultures/Culture
Written for high school students and general readers alike, this insightful treatment links the storied past of various Apache tribes with their life in contemporary times.
Written for high school students and general readers alike, Culture and Customs of the Apache Indians links the storied past of the Apaches with contemporary times. It covers modern-day Apache culture and customs for all eight tribes in Arizona, New Mexico, and Oklahoma since the end of the Apache wars in the 1880s.
Highlighting tribal religion, government, social customs, lifestyle, and family structures, as well as arts, music, dance, and contemporary issues, the book helps readers understand Apaches today, countering stereotypes based on the 18th- and 19th-century views created by the popular media. It demonstrates that Apache communities are contributing members of society and that, while their culture and customs are based on traditional ways, they live and work in the modern world.
- Takes an in-depth look at the Apache language today
- Discusses modern-day Apache artists, writers, musicians, and tribal leaders
- Contains an assortment of historical and modern photographs as well as charts and illustrations
- Provides a chronology of major historical events
- Focuses on modern Apache culture and customs, combating stereotypes and linking the past with the present
- Provides the perspective of a professional historian who is a member of an Apache tribe
- Offers an overview of Apache religious practices and their connection with Apache views on the environment, celestial bodies, and animal life
- Draws on the most up-to-date and reliable information on current-day Apache tribes
- Series Description
Cultures and Customs of the World
The Cultures and Customs of the World series delivers a fresh, modern perspective on individual countries for which detailed information is most in demand in the school curriculum and library. The series features ready-reference volumes that go beyond the travel guide fare by providing a comprehensive overview of the cultural life of countries most studied and in the news. Each volume is written by a country expert especially to meet the needs of students and the general reader. Countries come alive in insightful, accessible chapters that cover crucial topics:
- The land, people, language, and history
- Religion and world view
- Literature and media
- Arts and architecture/housing
- Cuisine and traditional dress
- Gender roles, marriage, and family
- Social customs, education, and lifestyle
- Music and dance
- Author Info
- Look Inside