A Reference Handbook, 3rd Edition
From foodborne outbreaks of illness from contaminated produce, dairy products, and meat to the use of pesticides and other chemical contamination, issues of food safety represent a top health concern.
||Current Events and Issues/Science and Technology
||Health & Wellness/Public Health
Presenting compelling and current information about some of the most important food safety issues, this book is an invaluable reference for anyone interested in avoiding foodborne disease or understanding how food safety standards could be improved.
Food safety affects everyone. For citizens who live in industrialized nations, it is easy to assume that our foods are always rigorously inspected and assessed for safety. While food safety standards and regulations are in place to protect the consumer public, food safety problems do exist: according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, each year, 48 million Americans are sickened by food,128,000 people are sick enough that they are hospitalized as a result, and 3,000 people die from foodborne pathogens.
This third edition of Food Safety: A Reference Handbook examines the history of food safety and describes in detail key events and trends that have created the food safety issues of today. It explores the many controversies concerning food consumption, including contaminants in food, GMOs, factory farm-produced meat, and standards regarding the labeling of food products as well as the ways that these issues have been handled by authorities. Readers will find this book's overview of food safety topics informative and highly accessible. Additionally, the perspectives chapter provides varying viewpoints from food safety professionals and researchers on key issues.
- Provides an up-to-date summary of food safety issues, many of which are controversial or commonly discussed in the media
- Offers a breadth of perspectives about the future of food safety from a range of professionals
- Includes an excerpt from the 2011 Food Safety Modernization Act that enables readers to directly examine the key elements of this law that affects many aspects of the food we eat
- Series Description
Contemporary World Issues
24-hour cable news. Millions of Internet sites. Information overload. How can we sort through the information? Assess the analyses? Trust the sources?
This award-winning series offers comprehensive, one-volume reference handbooks on important topics related to health, education, the environment, and social and ethical issues.
A world of questions demands a library of answers. Contemporary World Issues covers the controversial topics that students, readers, and citizens want to read about, write about, and know more about. Visit the entire list of titles in the series at www.abc-clio.com.
- Subject coverage spans six main categories:
- CRIMINAL JUSTICE
- GENDER AND ETHNICITY
- POLITICS, LAW, AND GOVERNMENT
- SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY, AND MEDICINE
- Each volume offers a rich array of resources:
- A background and history essay that provides essential context and grounding for further study
- A balanced summary of ongoing controversies and proposed solutions that show numerous paths for further research on pressing, contemporary questions
- A forum of authoritative perspective essays by experts, offering a broad spectrum of arguments on the issues
- Carefully selected annotated documents, tables, and graphs that supports statistical literacy and investigation of primary sources
- A chronology of events, legislation, and movements that place events in sequence and draw connections between them
- Annotated lists of print, Web, and multimedia resources that power the next steps for in-depth research
- Profiles of key players and organizations
- A glossary of key terms
- Author Info
"The work's glossary and chronology are useful, as are the section of annotated resources and the thorough, accurate index. The inclusion of lengthy URLs in some sections favors those using the book electronically, which is a purchase option. Based on the relevance of the topic and the amount of updated material, libraries that acquired the previous editions will probably want to replace them with this one. Summing Up: Highly recommended. High school through beginning undergraduates; professionals/practitioners."
- Look Inside