A Reference Handbook, 2nd Edition
Advances made over the past 75 years in the scientific understanding of DNA in a wide range of life forms have enabled success in battling a host of human problems and challenges, such as dealing with many types of diseases and disorders.
||Current Events and Issues/Science and Technology
This accessibly written book introduces readers to DNA—one of the most important technologies for the manipulation of all forms of life, from simple bacteria to plants and animals. It also addresses the most important social, ethical, political, economic, and other issues raised by this form of technology.
The great strides made in our understanding of the structure and function of DNA in recent decades have led to applying this invaluable knowledge to use in serving humanity. For example, recent discoveries in the field of genetic editing have created the potential for the creation of life forms de novo, a possibility that results in profound ethical issues for the human race that are just beginning to be discussed. What other positive—and potentially negative—developments are coming our way with continuing advancements in DNA research? DNA Technology: A Reference Handbook provides an up-to-date historical overview and general technical background to the topic as well as a broad introduction to current issues related to the development of DNA technology, such as genetically modified organisms, the use of DNA technology in the forensic sciences, and genetic testing and genetic therapy.
Written by David E. Newton, an author and former teacher who has dedicated a lifetime to authoring educational texts on science and technology, this book examines the history of DNA technology from its discovery in the 1950s to the present day and covers recent advances, such as new methods for gene editing, including CRISP-Cas9 technology. Readers need to have little or no background knowledge of the technology of genetic engineering to improve their understanding of DNA-based technologies and how DNA research influences many current issues and debates in agriculture, food science, forensics, public health, and other fields. The single-volume work is particularly well-suited to students and young adults because of the range of references included that serve further study, such as a glossary of terms, a chronology, and an extensive annotated bibliography.
- Provides an engaging and readable introduction to the topic of DNA technology that enables anyone—even readers with a minimal background in science—to understand the science and technology involved in many of today's key social issues
- Offers a thoroughly updated version of the information and topics first presented in the successful first edition of this book
- Presents an extensive range of reference materials that include an extended annotated bibliography and extensive endnotes
- Includes a Documents and Data chapter that provides excerpts from important laws, court cases, government reports, and other primary sources
- Series Description
Contemporary World Issues
24-hour cable news. Millions of Internet sites. Information overload. How can we sort through the information? Assess the analyses? Trust the sources?
This award-winning series offers comprehensive, one-volume reference handbooks on important topics related to health, education, the environment, and social and ethical issues.
A world of questions demands a library of answers. Contemporary World Issues covers the controversial topics that students, readers, and citizens want to read about, write about, and know more about. Visit the entire list of titles in the series at www.abc-clio.com.
- Subject coverage spans six main categories:
- CRIMINAL JUSTICE
- GENDER AND ETHNICITY
- POLITICS, LAW, AND GOVERNMENT
- SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY, AND MEDICINE
- Each volume offers a rich array of resources:
- A background and history essay that provides essential context and grounding for further study
- A balanced summary of ongoing controversies and proposed solutions that show numerous paths for further research on pressing, contemporary questions
- A forum of authoritative perspective essays by experts, offering a broad spectrum of arguments on the issues
- Carefully selected annotated documents, tables, and graphs that supports statistical literacy and investigation of primary sources
- A chronology of events, legislation, and movements that place events in sequence and draw connections between them
- Annotated lists of print, Web, and multimedia resources that power the next steps for in-depth research
- Profiles of key players and organizations
- A glossary of key terms
- Author Info
- Look Inside