||6 1/8x9 1/4
Why is the problem of terrorism—and the emergence of more extreme and more brutal terrorist groups—one that cannot be solved, even after decades of trying? This book, authored by a United Nations Ambassador once imprisoned and tortured in Iraq, diagnoses the shortcomings of present counter-terrorism strategies and lays out an effective new plan for counterterrorism.
The world has up to now failed to stop Al Qaeda terrorist attacks and also failed to stop the emergence of more extreme and more brutal terrorist groups than Al Qaeda, such as ISIS/ISIL, as well as newer lone wolf terrorists. Current strategies of counterterrorism have many shortcomings that allow terrorists to continue their operations. A New Counterterrorism Strategy: Why the World Failed to Stop Al Qaeda and ISIS/ISIL, and How to Defeat Terrorists identifies the shortcomings of present approaches and presents a comprehensive and sustainable strategy to combat terrorism.
Author Ambassador T. Hamid Al-Bayati, an Iraqi politician, offers a unique insider’s perspective about the war on terrorism. As a leader of the opposition against the terrorist regime of Saddam Hussein, he was arrested and tortured, until he fled Iraq. From the UK, he continued involvement in unfolding political events, until returning to Iraq and assuming high political appointments. These special insights are interwoven with accounts of detailed interactions and policies that provide the background for his explanation of the failures of counterterrorism strategies to date, and lessons learned from those mistakes. Al-Bayati spotlights the problems of terrorist cells, lone wolves, and foreign fighters developing in all parts of the world, where members work from safe havens to plan attacks, acquire weapons, and gain fighting experience. His proposed strategy further emphasizes issues neglected in current counterterrorism strategies, such as undermining the ideology of terrorists, interrupting their use of the Internet to promote evil, understanding the motivations and psychology of terrorists, deterring youth from joining ISIS, creating effective media campaigns against terrorism, and shutting off the flow of funding that currently buoys the financial resources of terrorist organizations.
- Provides a uniquely accurate perspective on extremist terrorist groups from an author who was born and grew up in Iraq, the same culture and environment where ISIL was born, and who understands the mentality of terrorists and the way they misinterpret Islam to brainwash and recruit people, especially youth
- Assesses the counterterrorism strategies before and after the attacks of September 11, explains why they failed to stop terrorists, and identifies the lessons to be learned
- Underscores the grim reality that terrorism is a threat for everyone, and accordingly, it behooves all citizens to press for reforms and changes in counterterrorism strategy
- Series Description
Praeger Security International
As the world gets "smaller" through technology and globalization, the security risks we face grow and multiply.
International security in the 21st century is not a topic that can be adequately addressed in nightly news soundbites or online articles intended to be relevant for 24 hours or less. Comprehending these complex issues requires insight from foreign policy specialists, diplomats, military officials, peace scholars, historians, and security experts—participants and observers on all sides of each conflict. This series provides the tools for understanding security issues in our uncertain, unstable world.
Written by subject experts and well-known researchers, the books in the Praeger Security International series give readers access to carefully considered and highly informed viewpoints on the critical security issues that threaten to destabilize our world. With titles authored by diplomats, first responders, economists, journalists, civil servants, military leaders and combatants, legal experts, psychologists, and other knowledgeable specialists, these books offer in-depth reflections, thorough analysis, and international perspectives that are unavailable in mass media. These titles represent an invaluable resource for students and researchers as well as anyone who seeks a deeper understanding of the complex issues that affect our lives and future.
- Provides reliable, comprehensive information on all matters relating to security that is ideal for students, teachers, researchers, and professionals
- Offers insightful commentaries written by a diverse group of scholars and experts who provide interdisciplinary treatments of newsworthy events and important historical occurrences
- Author Info
- Look Inside