This book covers a wide range of issues and controversies within the world of sports—including drug use, economics, ethics, ethnicity, gender, globalization, politics, race, sexuality, and technology—from both a U.S. and global perspective.
World Sports: A Reference Handbook covers a wide variety of sports-related controversies, including ethical, political, technological, business, and social issues related to the phenomenon of sports. Many of the larger topics are covered from multiple angles, often providing both a global and American perspective. The work provides unique insights into the commonly addressed subject of sports, supplying information that most readers will find unfamiliar and thought-provoking.
Addressing forms of sports as diverse as American football, skateboarding, NASCAR auto racing, ultrarunning, and the disciplines of the Olympic Games, the title's topics are discussed in depth to illuminate the sport's specific issues and are backed with information from relevant sports organizations, biographies of important people, chronologies, and charts and graphs. The information within this handbook is based upon the latest academic research but presented in very accessible language, making it appropriate for high school and undergraduate students as well as general readers.
- A chronology of important events or innovations in sports
- A list of important sports organizations with descriptions of each
- A glossary of relevant terms such as "blood doping"
- Provides coverage of sports that are popular internationally and those less well-known, offering a broad view of what constitutes sports both globally and in North America
- Covers topics via concise yet detailed essays that include relevant data, information about sports organizations, key individuals, and historical context
- Presents balanced insights into controversial topics such as performance-enhancing drugs, allowing readers to form their own opinions
"A succinct overview of global sports, Hanold’s handbook covers current themes and issues affecting competitors and fans. In a well-organized survey format, the text introduces significant topics, from business and politics to ethnicity, class, and gender."
"A solid access point for researchers high school age and older, this book is worth its shelf space for the thorough directory and resource chapters alone. Another winner from the Contemporary World Issues series."