The Read-Aloud Scaffold
Best Books to Enhance Content Area Curriculum, Grades Pre-K–3
Researching and identifying the children's titles best suited for—and most beneficial to—students Pre-K–3 from the thousands published each year is a prohibitively time-consuming task for busy educators. Teachers and librarians seeking targeted and meaningful read-alouds for their students need not look further.
||Children's and Young Adult Programs/Reading Promotion and Literacy
||Librarian's Instructional Role/Curriculum and Instruction, K-12
This compendium of outstanding read-aloud choices for grades pre-K–3 will enrich and extend content area instruction, helping busy teachers to meet curriculum requirements within the confines of their busy schedules.
It's a familiar and unfortunate story: educators everywhere are being asked to do more teaching with less—less money, less staff, and less time. One easy way to provide more content area instruction to very young readers is by scaffolding beneficial learning subjects within memorable read-aloud activities. This augments the instructional curriculum and keeps learning fun—without adding to the educator's already-full plate.
Read-Aloud Scaffold: Best Books to Enhance Content Area Curriculum, Grades Pre-K–3 offers teachers and librarians over 700 content area connections through carefully selected, recently published children's trade books. These selections include fiction and non-fiction titles that represent outstanding read-aloud choices that will augment the instructional curriculum, covering subjects ranging from history to holidays to special events, and from biographies and memoirs to poetry and character education. "A Closer Look" suggests outstanding read-aloud choices related to key units in the curriculum and features discussion points, cross-curricular activities, writing prompts, and related online and print materials.
- Detailed read-aloud plans created for trade books that scaffold learning across the curriculum in grades Pre-K–3
- Cites over 700 recently published children's trade books with annotations that correspond to content areas
- Contains selections addressing a wide range of topics, including school and family matters, community, friendship, prejudice, and civil rights, as well as books containing funny stories, tall tales, nursery rhymes, and mysteries
- Subject, title, and author indexes
- Children's poetry anthologies to further scaffold learning in grades Pre-K–3
- Listings of wordless books and first-chapter books
- Provides clear, accessible, and up-to-date resources for using read-alouds to efficiently supplement content area instruction in grades Pre-K–3
- Presents insights from authors and illustrators regarding the creation of some of today's best children's trade books