This book surveys the many ways of telling stories with digital technology, including blogging, gaming, social media, podcasts, and Web video.
Digital storytelling uses new media tools and platforms to tell stories. The second wave of digital storytelling started in the 1990s with the rise of popular video production, then progressed in the new century to encompass newer, social media technologies. The New Digital Storytelling: Creating Narratives with New Media is the first book that gathers these new, old, and emergent practices in one place, and provides a historical context for these methods.
Author Bryan Alexander explains the modern expression of the ancient art of storytelling, weaving images, text, audio, video, and music together. Alexander draws upon the latest technologies, insights from the latest scholarship, and his own extensive experience to describe the narrative creation process with personal video, blogs, podcasts, digital imagery, multimedia games, social media, and augmented reality—all platforms that offer new pathways for creativity, interactivity, and self-expression.
- Provides a bibliography listing sources consulted
- Contains an index of key words and concepts from the text
- Illustrates many ways of using social media creatively for every potential reader, not just "techies"
- Establishes a long history of digital storytelling
- Explains emerging and obscure technologies clearly and accessibly for a general audience
- Authored by an expert who has taught digital storytelling and associated technologies to diverse audiences for a decade
"This is an essential guide for those of us trying to figure out how to use these cool new tools to make a real dent in the world around us--Bryan Alexander is out on an important frontier."
"Bryan Alexander is a born teacher, born storyteller, an online veteran, and a wonderfully readable writer: a perfect formula for a book about digital storytelling. Whether you are a teacher, a parent, or a citizen interested in the ways digital media are transforming the age-old craft of storytelling, this book is for you."