The New Face of America
How the Emerging Multiracial, Multiethnic Majority Is Changing the United States
The number of Americans who identify themselves as belonging to more than one race has gone up 33 percent since 2000. But what does it mean to identify oneself as multiracial? How does it impact such basics as race relations, health care, and politics? Equally important, what does this burgeoning population mean for U.S. businesses and institutions?
||6 1/8x9 1/4
||Race and Ethnicity/General
This unique and important book investigates what it means to be multiracial and/or multiethnic in the United States, examining the issues involved from personal, societal, and cultural perspectives.
More and more, the idea of America as a melting pot is becoming a reality. Written from the perspective of multiracial citizens, The New Face of America: How the Emerging Multiracial, Multiethnic Majority Is Changing the United States brings to light the values, beliefs, opinions, and patterns among these populations. It assesses group identity and social recognition by others, and it communicates how multiracial individuals experience America's reaction to their increasing numbers.
Comprehensive and far-reaching, this thoughtful compendium covers the cultural history of multiracials in America. It looks at multiracial families today, at rural and urban multiracial populations, and at multiracial physical features, health disparities, bone and marrow transplant issues, adoption matters, as well as multiracial issues in other countries. Multiracial entertainers, athletes, and politicians are considered, as well. Among the book's most important topics is multiracial health and health care disparity. Finally, the book makes clear how America's current majority institutions, organizations, and corporations must change their relationship with multiracial and multiethnic populations if they wish to remain viable and competitive.
- A chronology of the growth of the multiracial population in the United States
- Charts highlighting multiracial population growth patterns in the United States
- A map showing which parts of the United States have the highest numbers and largest growth of multiracials
- A bibliography of multiracial and multiethnic references from all types of disciplines
- Draws on 2000 and 2010 census data to document and analyze the growth of multiracial populations in the United States
- Shares qualitative as well as quantitative data from multiracial populations throughout the United States
- Discusses multiracial health disparity issues in the United States
- Presents the values, beliefs, traditions, patterns, and views of multiracial individuals in the United States