Alcohol and Temperance in Modern History
An International Encyclopedia
As long as alcohol has been available, people have consumed it, governments have regulated it, and individuals and organizations have attempted to understand its allure and cope with its consequences. Now there is one far-ranging reference for everyone interested in alcohol's history and social impact, whether they are a connoisseur, a crusader, or just curious.
Add to Cart
Call for Pricing
- International Pricing
A comprehensive encyclopedia on all aspects of the production, consumption, and social impact of alcohol.
Alcohol and Temperance in Modern History: An International Encyclopedia spans the history of alcohol production and consumption from the development of distilled spirits and modern manufacturing and distribution methods to the present. Authoritative and unbiased, it brings together the work of hundreds of experts from a variety of disciplines with an emphasis on the extraordinary wealth of scholarship developed in the past several decades.
Its nearly 500 alphabetically organized entries range beyond the principal alcoholic beverages and major producers and retailers to explore attitudes toward alcohol in various countries and religions, traditional drinking occasions and rituals, and images of drinking and temperance in art, painting, literature, and drama. Other entries describe international treaties and organizations related to alcohol production and distribution, global consumption patterns, and research and treatment institutions, as well as temperance, prohibition, and antiprohibitionist efforts worldwide.
- 500 A–Z entries on the production and use of the principal alcoholic beverages, cultural representations, temperance movements, research, treatment, and forms of regulation and prohibition in the United States and around the world
- Written by 170+ international scholars from the disciplines of history, anthropology, medicine, political science, cultural studies, and the law
- A chronology of major events in the history of alcohol and its social response since the 18th century
- Numerous drawings and illustrations such as historical photographs, vintage lithographs, posters, and product labels representing early advertising
- Covers both drinking and temperance in the same compilation
- Deals with all aspects of drinking, from production and producers to consumption patterns, sites and occasions of drinking, and diseases associated with drinking
- Demonstrates various forms taken by the temperance impulse around the world, not just the American model
- Compares drinking behavior and forms of regulation used by societies around the world
- Author Info
"This intelligent encyclopedia meets a real need for a ready reference addressing terms, concepts, and issues related to alcohol and temperance in history . . . Uncork the champagne for this fine work, which belongs in every university and major public library collection."
"Alcohol and Temperance in Modern History . . . enables the reader to come to a clearer understanding of the commercial and social impacts that alcohol use and production have caused, as well as the societal response. . . . This reference work is a worthwhile choice for both public and academic libraries."
"A storehouse of scholarship. Highly recommended. Graduate and undergraduate students, faculty, researchers."
"Used together . . . they provide a level of usefulness that is astonishing for only three volumes. This work certainly belongs on the shelves of all public, academic, and secondary school libraries."
"By virtue of its historical and comparative focus on alcohol and temperance movements, this is a distinctive and useful encyclopedia for specialists and nonspecialists alike. It is recommended for public and academic libraries."
Outstanding Academic Title 2004 — CHOICE